Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Care For A Shih Tzu Dogs

Max and Molly


Shih Tzu's are wonderful little dogs. They are just the right size, not too big, not too small. I have a pair who are brother and sister and they are small dogs with big personalities, however, they do require daily grooming and regular care.


Instructions


1. You should have your dog groomed at least every 6 weeks. If you want to save yourself some money, you can do it yourself. I take mine to a professional groomer about 4 times a year and then do it myself in between.


2. Unless your Shih Tzu is a show dog, there's no need to keep their hair down to the floor long. Even though my two have the same parents their hair is totally different. My female, Molly, is a bit curly with a tendency to kink and Max's hair is smooth and straight. Brush your Shih Tzu's on a daily basis to keep their coat looking good and to detangle any knots or mats that may have formed. I use a wire brush and it also helps remove any loose hair (even though most people say they don't shed, they do shed a few hairs).


3. Clipping your dog is a fairly simply process. I brush my dog's coat first, then I cut out any mats or knots with scissors. Once that's done, I then proceed with my clippers. I use regular dog clippers that I bought at Wal-Mart and I usually start with a longer blade so I don't get their hair too short. You can always go back over it if it's too long. I start at the back of their head and work my way from there. When I'm done with that, I take the scissors and trim the hair away from their feet, ears and face. Around their eyes is the hardest to do, I try to lay the scissors at an angle along side their nose and cut upward in one fell swoop.


4. Doing your Shih Tzu's nails is a bit tricky. Be careful not to cut too much and hit the quick. Trim off small amounts at a time or use the Pedi Paw. The Pedi Paw works fairly well but just be aware that it does take time to do because it's like filing their nails with a fingernail file. It only takes off a little at a time.


5. All dogs should have their teeth brushed on a regular basis. To get your dog used to the idea, gently rub a wet washcloth over their gums and teeth and progress to either a fingerbrush or a toothbrush. When you feel your dog is ready, brush their teeth with a toothpaste especially formulated for dogs. Do not use regular toothpaste that you use for yourself!


6. Finish off grooming your Shih Tzu with a nice warm bath. If your dog doesn't feel safe in the bathtub, put down a rubber bathmat to give them a more secure footing. They get cold easily so make sure the room is warm and you definitely need to towel them off and blow dry them.

Tags: your Shih, their hair, keep their, should have, their teeth, they shed